Sunday, October 17, 2010

my previous post had a purpose (10/21 digital media practices assignment)

It's really hard to think of these things as "new digital media" or anything like that.  To me they're just tools.  I use them, I like some of them.  I'm well-versed in them.  They're not really *new*.  They've just always been there for me, and attaching a label on the whole she-bang makes me feel like I'm being overly formal...so I guess that's my attitude and why I'm good with "them".

Of the list provided on Ning, I use them all.  I've always used them all.  If I don't CURRENTLY use a web-based program that's listed, I either use something better or I've used something software-based that did the same thing, but better.  It's really nothing new to me.  I still remember first grade...that year, my school was in its first year of having their own computer lab.  that was my first experience with any of it and I didn't (and still don't) treat it the way most people do: as something that can be broken, or has to be handled with any kind of special care.  It's just a tool.  Can't break it unless you put a hammer to it...and I've done that.  I've seen the results.  My temper is not to be trifled with.  If you're an object don't ever cross me.

Anyway, the only reason I remember that time in first grade was because my mom was brought in as a "special teacher" to oversee us on learning how to use computers.

So, since it's all pretty much a part of my daily life and I don't think about using them, nor do I attach any sort of significance or stigma to using them.  I tell ya, it was WEIRD being in class a few weeks ago when Imovie was being presented.  I'm 29, so older than half of you...and therefore I didn't *grow up* with it in the same way a lot of you did.  Yet I had no problems with it.  I'd never used Imovie specifically, but software all has rules...it's all somewhat logical in terms of where the tools are that you need within a given program.  It was really weird to be able to use the stuff intuitively and hear everyone around me having problems...it's just a tool, it all is.  You just sit down and look for structure within it.  Or make it yourself.  Whichever.  And ok ok, when I lived in Cali I was in film school, and part of this was spending an entire year, five days a week, eight hours a day, using Final Cut...and Final Cut makes any other editing suite look like a baby's toy.  The only thing more *real* than final cut is a flatbed and a roll of tape.  Still though.  I didn't have a lot of problems with final cut either.

So.  Two tools. My previous post was on my warcraft use, so let's double-up videogames and virtual worlds.  The thing I LOVE about video games in general (at least the real games) is the immersive environment which is customizable by the player's actions.  The frustrating part is just the limitations in design: it's always a splash in the face to hit up against an NPC programmed to respond only a half dozen ways to you...that's just a pure limitation in the design of AI.  Until a method of heuristic thought is developed for machines, we're always going to hit it.  But the PRO - REAL games have REAL stories.  They're immersive and interactive, taking place in the context of a game with objectives, but they come with their own expansive lore.  The biggest pro to gaming, especially fully-immersive games with their own set of lore and npc's living in the world (final fantasy, star wars old republic, warcraft...and any rpg you can think of) is that it really illustrates how how a story is constructed by placing yourself within it in such a way.

How do I present myself: as me.  Random, whimsical, et al.  Minus private information like name, address, and that sort of thing.

The norms of the environment: in a normal game there are no "norms", the game creates it on its own, thanks to its developers.  in an MMO, that's a little different.  norms are defined by terms of service, but most people deviate from them in certain ways.  the HICCUP is that many newer players lack the history with gaming in general, and instead treat this anonymous frontier as a way to be the biggest asshole they can possibly be.  My theory is that people who started gaming as adults, or people who game in arenas not historically a part of the "video-gaming world" have a different mindset and they treat the worlds differently...and not for the better.  Our norms are certainly predatory and we'll pounce on weakness.  But we're polite and we'll help out if a fellow-player needs it.

So the second one: let's talk about internet and how it relates to ease-of-theft.  God I love it.  I wasn't allowed on the net til I was 15, but I've been a daily addict since then.  Anything from useless knowledge to gaming to online software.  It's all happy-world.

Anything I want.  I can find it.  If it was on tv and it's not on Hulu, I can find it.  If it's software I don't want to pay for, I can crack it.

The PROBLEM is that so much of the internet is pure bullshit.  The entirety of print media has gone down the road of the internet - unsubstantiated opinion prettied up as "fact".  Opinion is everywhere, and most of it has no basis in any sort of reality.  The plus side - it creates guys like me, cynical enough to not trust ANYTHING just because I read it or heard it somewhere.  But there's also a million GOOD nuggets of info to find, you just have to be discerning enough to find it.  That's how i have a hard drive full of music and videos...

I don't understand any teacher who knee-jerks against using ANY form of technology in the classroom.  It's all a part of my daily life and has been as far back as I can remember (even cel phones...dizzamn) so I can't imagine going without it.  It's all a tool.  It has value and can be used for an educational goal.  As often as I vegetate on aqua teen hunger force I also analyze the same show for archetypes.

1 comment:

  1. You point out a lot of realities that are often overlooked about the internet and technology. So many people think that everything they see, hear or read is absolute fact. It is crucial that we are able to decipher critically what is real and what is opinion.

    When it comes to learning about technology you are right that it is a tool. So often people are confused right away just because they are in awe of the all-powerful internet or editing software. If they would take them time to understand what is going on, they would have that it quite simple. But then again I am a Mac user, so everything is pretty much laid out for me.

    ReplyDelete